Saturday, January 27, 2007

the snowfest.


Last night, we were lucky enough to take in the festivities of Kelowna's winter festival called Snowfest. We bundled up in our "Alberta" clothes because it was a little cilly out, and headed downtown. The "Parade of Lights" started at 7:30 pm (a weird time for a parade don't you think?) and it looked a lot like a vehicles driving down the street with Christmas lights on them. To be honest, I think I saw a better parade in small town Redwater, AB. But the fireworks show turned out to be pretty good.

While I am on the topic of snow and winter, I have heard from more than one person that this Kelowna winter has been the coldest and most snowiest winters in years. Comments like "I haven't seen this much snow since my kids were little" and "this is the most I have ever worn my winter jacket". Well with comments like those you wouldn't believe what I saw yesterday:

  • Someone walking outside in shorts and a t-shirt. It most definitely was not shorts weather yesterday. See picture as to how I was dressed, which was very appropriate for the weather.
  • Someone driving with their convertible top down. Yes, I wasn't just seeing things. He was either really trying to show off the fact he has a convertible or he totally forgot what time of year it is. Its January people!

  • People going for a polar bear dip in Lake Okanagan. Ok, this is just crazy. They are asking for hypothermia. Do they really want to be cold for like a week?

With people acting this way in January when there is still snow on the ground and its not above zero, I don't want to know what they will be doing in March when the first signs of spring appear...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha, even someone is edmonton was riding on their motorcycle yesterday. I mean its been nice out....but honestly...I think people WANT global warming..

Anonymous said...

nice firework pictures...i love firework pictures...

kt said...

i can't even beleive what I used to wear outside in the cold weather. Going out to the bar in nothing. geez louise, i am so much wiser now!

Unknown said...

I won't lie, I personally think skinny dipping in the frigid january waters would be quite exhillerating, although a little nipply, but fun all around!

Anonymous said...

ok alise...you havne't put up a post for like a month! RIDICULOUS! we need to know what's going on in your life!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Lis, but i definitely agree with nadine....