Monday, February 26, 2007

the end of an era.

This past Thursday night I sat down and watched the series finale of The O.C. The news was released about a month ago that the show would be ending with only a few episodes left. I was an O.C fan when it first started, back in the day, along with every other high school kid. But as the series went on, the show became more and more lame. The finale was definite proof of that. I hadn't really been watching too many shows this season, but I wanted to see how they ended it. Boy was I lost. They had been trying to create so much out of nothing this season, that everything was soo ridiculous.

But what is with these writers who come up with shows that have a 2-3 season lifespan with concepts that can only be expanded so much? When the O.C first started it was edgy and drew in a large following. But then they had to keep up their following with the same kind of edginess but they just didn't have it in them. Two other shows that probably will face the same demise as the O.C. (I'm afraid to say) are Prison Break and Lost. At the end of the first season of Prison Break, they broke out of prison. So how long can you carry on a show called Prison Break when they are already out of prison? Or Lost... there is only so long the producers will be able to drag viewers along in mass confusion and crazy unrealistic plots.

I don't want to sound like I'm completely bashing the shows because in fact I think their plots are great. But its just too bad that shows that were once high in ratings and were nominated for awards are slowly overstaying their welcome. Instead of being remembered as a great show, people will find themselves watching it and then after wonder why they bothered. Its kind of like eating cake...You could just keep eating piece after piece because you think its good, but then after the 7th piece you realize you should have stopped at 2.

wow...I guess I missed blogging

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY...good one...totally agreed, i don't even really feel like watching the second season of prison break because i know it would ruin the show for me...and OC was just terrible...

Anonymous said...

Ya I totally agree with you. I haven't watched lost at all, but prison break is a definite example. I have seen a few minutes here and there of the second season and I am sick of the chase.

p,s, we missed you blogging too!

Anonymous said...

I almost had a heart attack when I saw your new post! FINALLY! I know I LOVED the OC when it first started...but then they started trying TOO hard...and now it just sucks. Thank goodness its over. Prison break I watched the first season...but after that no. It is really all about "the office" this year. Its the new seinfeld.

Anonymous said...

alise...you'll forget all about crappy OC if you just watch Grey's Anatomy! You don't know what you've been missing! It's on tonight!

alise said...

I have started watching Grey's but its on at the same time as Office (which is the best show right now)...so I get to watch the first part of Grey's Anatomy then have to flip.

Anonymous said...

you could always tape it right? or watch it on youtube...

leanne said...

what they have greys on you tube?? haha.. I AM SO THERE.. lol. i am a new addict for those of you who havent read my blog. but anyway, so true about tv shows. so very true, especially about prison break, now it should be prison chase