Tuesday, January 09, 2007

the back breaking baskets.


One thing that I am noticing is a pet-peeve of mine, well more of a strong dislike is the fact that grocery stores make you insert money to be able to use a cart. Some places (that I won't mention) are as high as $1.00. Now the reason this has become a strong dislike for me is the fact that I hardly ever carry change. So I have made quite a few trips where I havn't had change and have opted to use a basket. BAD IDEA. Its almost impossible to use a basket when you are actually going grocery shopping for more than 4 items. The basket always seems to fit a large quantity of items, but its the weight of the 300 pound basket that kills you in the end. Does anyone else feel this way? Posted is a picture of our last shopping trip where we had to use a basket. It was a terrible experience.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahaha...i can remember people who would do that too when i worked at save-on...and they would leave the full basket at an empty lane, and take a new one to fill...back and forth back and forth...silly peeps...and then sometimes service clerks would take the full basket and return everything in it because they thought it was left there...hahahahaahah suckas

Anonymous said...

I agree...its totally sucks to put coins in as no one has them anymore. Sometimes you have to get change from a cranky customer 'service' agent and go back outside and get a cart. THat's why I like shopping at Sobeys...their carts are free.

kt said...

Alise, I'm pretty sure you can ask the ladies at the desk to lend you one, can't you? Also, I have experienced back-breaking-baskets, and chooce to only use a cart now, even if it's for 4 items. At sobey's they have these great mini carts and I'm totally loving them.

Anonymous said...

I always use carts too, it is WAY to much back work even if you are carrying just a basket of fruit. Its such an akward system. The girls at every safeway within 10 miles know my first name and that I want a quarter for the cart...

Anonymous said...

ya safeway is usually really nice when you need a quarter...on the other hand i wouldn't even try to ask people at superstore...they are crankpots and they scare me!

Anonymous said...

aaaah, the shopping cart change dilema. I hear your pain, I have that sentiment everytime I go to superstore and safeway, only means I have to be organized which I typically am NOT! I have a friend who keeps a loonie in her car ashtray and no one touches it cause it's the grocery cart loonie!
A suggestion from a seasoned grocery shopper!! :) What do ya think?

Unknown said...

I like your mum's idea of the loonie in the ash tray, my mum does the same thing. oh and you probably have a beef about the fact that you have to buy bags there, so my mum also leaves some of those bins you can buy at super store in her trunk so she always has them, and its easier to bring in the house than a thousand flimsy small bags that squish your fruit and bread! oh and it's also environmentally friendly!!