Saturday, November 25, 2006

the thankful day.

So on Thursday I did something I had never done before. I celebrated American Thanksgiving. Now this day had never been a big deal to me because I didn't really have a reason to celebrate this joyous occasion...that is until I started living with SJ. She is a dual citizen to the United States and has been talking about Thanksgiving for quite some time now. Not only is it a like our Thanksgiving with the turkey, pumpkin pie and family, it also marks the beginning of the Christmas season. Did you know that the day after Thanksgiving in the States (the Friday) is the busiest shopping day of the year? So Christmas has officially started in our house. Even though we don't have any Christmas decorations we still know in our minds that it has started. Then again SJ has been playing Christmas music for the past 2 weeks already...now its just justifiable.
So Thursday night we (well mostly SJ because she was off work that day) prepared an amazing meal. We invited Jaron and Ryan over to share it with us and we had a really great evening. And we have lots of leftovers to eat over the next couple days which is ALWAYS good.
I think I like the idea of having Thanksgiving at the end of November rather then in October because it does feel more like the kick off to the Christmas season. And then you wouldn't have people putting Christmas decorations up in October. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it's ridiculous...no offense though for real...i think, especially for the people who have to cook turkeys for thanksgiving AND Christmas we get totally screwed then...then it's soooooooooooo close together, it's good to space out the big family turkey dinners...ya know?