Wednesday, October 25, 2006
the rant.
Ok...if you have made a trip Walmart recently you may noticed their new self checkouts. Its a touch screen thing that lets you scan your items yourself and pay with whichever method. I had the privilege of trying one of these new machines a week ago on a short trip to the mart of wal. I only had 3 small items so it was an easy quick way for me to pay. BUT it wasn't so easy for the 3 people in front of me. I think it was a combination of the fact that they weren't too electronic savvy and that every time something doesn't scan right the Walmart lady has to come over and type her password in and clear the screen. So between 3 different machines and many people not really knowing how to work it, the Walmart lady is kept in high demand. And lets just say she wasn't exactly the nicest lady on the planet. But I guess it is hard when you have people asking the same question over and over again. I am all for technology but when it is actually helping our day to day lives. Yes this self check-out idea could potentially speed up the "getting out of the store as quick as you can" process but only after people actually know how to use it and don't go through and scan their 87 cans of soup and 14 boxes of tissue. I read a review of the machines and it said that one man got so frustrated that he actually punched the machine...I don't think it helped that guys day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I've seen those things...they don't seem to be too efficient. I think its quicker to just go to a regular check-out with a regular (read: non-grouchy) walmart lady (or man.)
I think the novelty will wear off soon and no one will use the self-check-out's except wanna-be shoplifters.
I totally know what you mean, it is great for younger people who actually know what they are doing, and the concept is rather neat, at the same time look at the people who shop at Walmart, OLD PEOPLE, and frankly we can expect them to grasp the concept of computers of any kind, let alone the fact that you can't swipe your 20 items at this particular stand! Frankly I am not suprised someone punched it.....Although i felt more like punching the person in front of me....
Nadine here...ok first of all i hate self check outs, even though i've never seen one in person or used one...but still i hate them because i'm a cashier at a grocery store and i think it's just a stupid method to get rid of employees and therefore...having to pay employees. And it just gives a people a chance to think that they are so smart and can do everything themselves...you know those middle aged jerks...that's my rant
I think Nadine should start a website. She seems full of rants.
...i am really curious as to who that last anonymous comment was from...and maybe i will start a blog...because you are right i am full of rants...haha eeee
I can't hide for too long...it was me.
when i used one of those self checkout thingy's the lady wouldnt' let me do it my self she jsut grabed my two items and did it for me, and said "now wasn't that easy!". well of course it was you knob, i didn't even get to scan my own stuff! over zelous walmart people make me angry!! anyways, hope everyones next walmart adventure is better than my recent one!
Post a Comment